An innovative and next generation regenerative cell technology is now available at The CORE Institute.
Patients can now benefit from treatment options using adipose stem cells to treat chronic orthopedic conditions using the Lipogems® system. The technology is used to harvest, concentrate, and transfer a patient’s own fat for the repair, reconstruction, or replacement of injured or damaged tissue.
Adipose tissue, commonly known as fat, contains an ideal source and high number of mesenchymal stem cells and has been longed used for support of tissue repair and replacement. With its regenerative potential, Lipogems can help treat patients with painful joints – including the hip, knee, shoulder, and ankle – and certain orthopedic conditions, such as soft tissue defects.
How does it work?
The Lipogems system is used to liposuction fat cells from the patient’s thigh or abdomen after the patient has been prepped with local anesthetic. The device then rinses and cleans the inflammatory oils and blood from the patient’s harvested fat and maintains the unique regenerative properties of the fat tissue, such as stem cells. This is not intended to reduce the appearance of body fat in the harvest area.
The stem cells are then injected to the injured or diseased site and can promote healing and symptom reduction, as early as three weeks after treatment.
Lipogems technology can be used in orthopedic medicine for supporting healing of tissue in the shoulder, knee, hip and spine, as well as for certain cosmetic applications such as hand rejuvenation (contouring of the hand to improve appearance). The procedure is typically performed in one of the exam rooms at the clinic.
You may be a candidate for Lipogems if:
- You suffer from an injury or ailment that limits your normal daily functioning or physical activity
- You have painful joints with limited range of motion, such as your knee, ankle, hip or shoulder
- You have a soft tissue defect in your tendons, ligaments, and/or muscles
- Treatment options, such as physical therapy, NSAIDS, or steroid injections have not provided you with significant relief
- You would like to explore Lipogems as a minimally invasive alternative to a major surgical intervention
Ask your physician if you are a candidate for this procedure.